This job posting is no longer active.
Property Name: Mason Street Grill at Pfister
Location: Milwaukee, WI, United States
Requisition #: 2400003H
Mason Street Grill is searching for a Chef de Cuisine who thrives off of the fast-paced environment in the kitchen and prepare some of the best food in Milwaukee. In this role, you are responsible for all food preparation, production, and control of labor and food costs for the restaurant and private dining operations to meet the high standards of quality.
Mason Street Grill in downtown Milwaukee has become a local favorite for delicious steak, great hand-crafted cocktails, and jazz music. In addition to great food and drinks - we also have exceptional service you can't find anywhere else. At Mason Street, we want to serve experiences. Whether it's the upbeat aromas, the background sounds of live music, or the taste of a refreshing cocktail after a long day at work, we want to make sure that our guests' time spent with us will bring them back again and again.
What you will be doing:
• Interview, hire, train, supervise, schedule, and participate in activities of chefs, cooks, and other personnel involved in preparing, cooking, and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls, and forecast needs.
• Visually inspects appearance of all food for proper taste, color combination, and overall presentation to maintain appeal.
• Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with internal and external customers to promote food products and direct staff activities. Analyze feedback from clients and associates, make judgements, and take action to implement suggestions for improvement. Maintain working rapport with all hotel staff for efficient operation and service to customers. Organize and conduct monthly culinary meetings.
• Monitor staff performance, product quality and production flow; foster improvement where necessary.
• Audit food storeroom items, market sheets and storage to maintain consistent quality products to ensure adherence to all health code requirements. Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness throughout kitchen(s) including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
• Create, strengthen, and maintain vendor relationships.
• Represents the property in the media when the occasion arises.
• Ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
• Dines at local and regional restaurants to observe the latest trends in food presentation and pricing.
• Prepare all food items according to approved recipe specifications.
• Monitors restaurant during peak periods to oversee production flow and presentation.
• Report any equipment in need of repair to Engineering for service.
• Performs other duties as requested, such as V.I.P. parties and staff meetings.
What we are looking for:
• Minimum of two years’ experience in a culinary supervisory and management position in a similar size operation preferably in a fine dining atmosphere.
• High School education required. Minimum of 2 years formal culinary schooling preferred.
• Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) necessary to interpret reports and budgets.
• Considerable knowledge of basic computer operations and software as it pertains to inventory control, menu creations, etc.
• Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgements to ensure proper payroll and production control in accordance to the operating budget.
• Ability to perform duties in confined spaces within extreme temperature ranges.
• Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
• Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings, and maintain communication lines between line staff and leadership.
• Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, togs, slicers, etc.
• Ability to grasp, lift, and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 200 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
• Create specials that are cost effective and in keeping with the cuisine concept.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
• Measure-minimize food waste.
• A free, well-balanced meal every shift
• Room discounts at Marcus Hotels & Resorts and Historic Hotels of America properties
• Discounts at Marcus Hotels & Resorts restaurants, golfing, skiing and spa
• Discounted parking
• Bonus Eligible
• Paid time off
• Medical, dental and vision insurance (offered after 30 days of employment), company-paid life insurance, employee assistance program offer and 401k with employer match
Who we are:
A division of The Marcus Corporation, Marcus Hotels & Resorts has a rich 60-year history of operational and service excellence. We are “People Pleasing People” who strive daily to create extraordinary experiences for guests and associates alike. Focused on expanding our U.S. based portfolio of 15 hotels and resorts, our properties are known for their unique character and style.
Note: This document describes the general nature and level of work required of people in the job. It is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, duties, and skills.
Mason Street Grill is an equal opportunity employer.