Who we are
As one of Milwaukee’s most esteemed hotels and the only arts hotel in the city, we offer our guests a modern luxury experience with an artistic twist. Located in the prime location of the Theater District, we not only welcome guests looking for a unique hotel experience; we also open our doors to theater and concert goers, food enthusiasts, and guests seeking out live Theater. Get to know us more: https://www.saintkatearts.com/**
The executive sous chef will train, supervise, and work with all culinary and stewarding staff in order to prepare, cook, create, and present food according to hotel standard recipes for quality food products. They will directly report to the hotel’s executive chef to support and provide effective leadership to ensure the preparation of food and business operations meet company standards.
This position will assist with oversight of all culinary areas including:
- Aria – Finer dining restaurant featuring Artisanal American cuisinehttps://www.ariaatsaintkate.com/
- The Dark Room – Opulent private dining experiences and tasting menus https://www.saintkatearts.com/dining/the-dark-room
- Proof Pizza – Casual Neapolitan style pizzeria located among our art galleries and bar https://www.saintkatearts.com/dining/proof-pizza
- Banquets & Catering – Galas, weddings, meetings, and conventions
- Other areas including In Room Dining, the lobby bar/restaurant, guest amenities, stewarding, etc.
- Daily preparation of food during assigned shift.
- Delegate duties to culinary staff and stewarding staff and follow up to ensure efficient operation of kitchen.
- Report on daily activities of culinary staff to executive chef.
- Collaborate with executive chef on menus including developing recipes, sourcing, and costing.
- Create prep lists, station standards, and requisition forms.
- Interview, select, hire, onboard and train candidates.
- Evaluate staff performance, conduct performance reviews, issue rewards, issue disciplinary action and address and/or resolve employee concerns.
- Observe and assess quality of preparation, portioning, garnishing and plating done by staff to identify areas where improvement may be needed.
- Schedule culinary staff and maintain payroll costs to budget.
- Participate in meetings with to review operations, budgetary compliance and standards or procedures.
- Responsible for assisting in maintaining forecasts and budgets.
- Ensure proper ordering, receiving, storage and rotation of food **adhering to control procedures for cost and quality.
- Supervise and log daily safety and sanitation practices, complying with Health Department regulations.
- Ensure kitchen equipment is maintained – communicate needed repairs and preventative maintenance.
- Performs other duties as requested, such as development and execution of special events, VIP parties and staff events.
- Assume responsibility for kitchen and operations in absence of executive chef.
· High school degree required.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in culinary management role.
· Hotel culinary management highly preferred but not required.
· Experience in leading and executing food preparation for multiple events simultaneously.
· Experience in supervising a team of 10 or more and navigating employee relations including training, scheduling, termination and disciplinary action.
Position and Environment
· Must be able to work 50-55 hours a week on average.
· Must be able to regularly stand/walk for long periods of time.
· Must have flexible availability to (including holidays and weekends) to meet business needs.
· Must possess strong communication and organizational skills.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft systems: Outlook, Excel, Word
· Experience with systems such as BirchStreet and Profit Sword highly preferred
- Medical, dental, vision and company-paid life insurance
- Discounted downtown parking
- PTO and 401k program with employer match
- Career growth opportunities
- Annual discretionary wage increase and bonus program
- Hotel and movie theater discounts
Saint Kate – The Arts Hotel is an Equal Opportunity Employer